We have all been through the ups and downs of gaming. One moment we are taking first place in everything we play and the next minute we find ourselves getting killed by a ten-year-old while playing Halo. Some of you may even wonder “why am I suddenly bad at video games?” Well, you’re not alone!
It turns out that most gamers ask the question, not once, but often! It is quite common for people that play video games to have downward trends in performance, that typically results in frustration. Rather than asking “why am I suddenly bad at video games’, you should be asking, ‘how do I get back to playing at the level I was before?”
Why Am I Suddenly Bad At Video Games
To answer the question of “why am I suddenly bad at video games”, one must first decide if anything has changed recently. If you’ve changed your game play, go back to what was working. If the game has changed, you need to adapt. Additionally, make sure your gaming setup is optimized for you so that you can remain focused, comfortable and precise.
If you’re part of the group that has gone from slaying the most monsters in Diablo 3 to leading your team in deaths, you may want to check this out before putting down the controller forever. You can only be on top of your game for so long before succumbing to a downward spiral into a dark abyss with endless screaming at your computer monitors as someone snipes you from across the map again.
Did you suddenly start performing poorly? No, probably not. Has the competition gotten better? Maybe, but that’s still not the reason. So, what changed? The simple answer, NOT YOU!
Complacency While Gaming
If you get good at something, like playing video games, and you become complacent, odds are that your tactics will become obsolete over time. Whether someone figures your tactics out or the game has an update, your system will get figured out or become archaic. If you ask Charles Darwin, you probably won’t survive if you can’t adapt.
Gamers are great at figuring out how to overcome obstacles and beat the system, even if it is your own system. Most gamers are hackers in that they stress test games, and figure out the path of least resistance, which ultimately leads them to becoming the best gaming goat.
Gaming Goat – Adapt or Die
When you stick with what you know, and are comfortable with, you become singular and lose your title of “gaming goat”. You miss out on learning and acquiring new skills and it becomes easy for someone to surpass you. One could also argue that when you use the same tactics, you become less competitive because you stop practicing. This forces you to only use those skills when you need to rely on them.
One reason for the decline in your gaming abilities is that you are not playing the game properly. No, not your actual gameplay, but the way you are experiencing the game. More specifically, your gaming setup. Having a proper setup not only provides a fully immersive experience, which arguable enhances your abilities, but the hardware itself also improves game performance.
If you are gaming on a console and not a PC, this list may still pertain to you and be applied to your game play and hardware specifications.
The gaming mouse is a staple that many gamers overlook. The mouse is an extension of your hand, and odds are, your hand is needed in whatever game you are playing. Whether it is to deal damage, steer a car or climb a building, your hand is needed virtually to achieve your goal. These gaming mice are so valuable because they are typically weighted and specifically fitted to pair with your hand. This bond allows for complete cohesion and precision.
Additionally, the gaming mouse helps because they are highly programmable with all sorts of added keys, buttons, knobs and various doohickeys to help you play better. These can be used to automate simple and complex tasks, which allows for you to focus on the mission. When you use a gaming mouse, you typically stop button mashing and focus on precise finite skills.
Just so you know, if you click on a product and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
- World’s No.1 Best Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, & PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, IN, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- PowerPlay wireless charging: Never worry about your battery life again. Add the power play wireless charging system to keep your G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse and other compatible G mice charged while at rest and at play. Powerplay wireless charging system sold separately
- Light speed wireless gaming mouse: Exclusive Logitech G ultra-fast wireless technology used by Pro gamers in competitions worldwide
- Hero 25K sensor through a software update from G HUB, this upgrade is free to all players: Our most advanced, with 1:1 tracking, 400+ ips, and 100 - 25,600 max dpi sensitivity plus zero smoothing, filtering, or acceleration
- 11 customizable buttons and hyper fast scroll wheel: Assign custom macro and shortcut commands to the buttons for each game with Logitech G hub software. Use hyper fast scrolling to rapidly review menus, long web pages and more
The gaming keyboard typically has the same keys as that of a regular computer keyboard, but it often boasts a few unique features to help aid in game play. These include special raised, textured or sized keys to help cut down on time wasted trying to locate important keys, a back light for night gaming, mechanical keys for easier game play and maintenance, USB ports, volume control and wireless pairing.
- Worlds NO. 1 Best Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent aggregated sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, & PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, ID, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- LIGHTSPEED wireless delivers pro-grade performance with flexibility and freedom from cords. Creates a clean aesthetics for battlestations. Delivers 30 hours on a single full charge.
- LIGHTSYNC technology provides next-gen RGB lighting that synchronizes lighting with any content. Personalize each key or create custom animations from ~16. 8M colors with Logitech G HUB software.
- Low Profile mechanical switches offers the speed, accuracy and performance of a mechanical switch at half the height. The GL Clicky switch features a distinctive sound and tactile feedback. Comes in 3 options: GL Tactile, GL Linear or GL Clicky.
- Beautifully crafted, the G915 uses aircraft-grade aluminum alloy to deliver incredibly thin but rigid and durable design.
This may be a shocker to some, but with certain games, noise is very important. For example, if you are playing a game that requires killing another player, it may require that you sneak up on them. If you have noise cancelling headphones, you can sometimes hear an enemy approaching in the game which just goes to show you how advanced video games have become. Neat, huh?
No, not always! I remember nearly having a heart attack on multiple occasions as friends sneak up behind you, only to stab you the second you turn around when you think you hear something. Talk about waking you up! I recommend playing Resident Evil 7 with the noise turned up, you may need a diaper though.
- Premium hi res capable speakers with high density neodymium magnets reproduce a full, expansive frequency range from 10 to 40,000 hertz with stunning realism and clarity
- Luxurious polished steel and aluminum alloy construction offers maximum durability and a consistent fit
- Next generation DTS headphone: X v2.0 surround sound provides optimal spatial imaging for complete 360 degree immersion
- USB chat mix dial lets you balance and adjust the volume between your game and chat audio; Headphone sensitivity: 102 dB SPL
- The Arctis clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation. Microphone frequency response - 100–10,000 kHz. Microphone sensitivity - (-38) DBV/pa
Next on our list is the gaming desk, the place where all your junk goes. Just kidding, us gamers actually like to maintain a tidy work space. After all, we are artists and virtual athletes, not slobs!
The gaming desk is so important because it can help keep every other component in line and organized. Also, gaming desks typically can be converted to standing or sitting desks which is unique for those of us that can’t make up our minds. Some games I need to sit (Diablo 3), others I need to stand (Fight Night Round 4), that’s where these desks come in handy.
- [Charging Handle Rack]: Comes with a rack where you can place a couple of controllers and games for convenience. There’s also 4 USB ports for you to use. You can never have too many USB ports. So instead of reaching for your computer tower, there are ports right next to you.
- [Full Mouse Pad Top ]: Further upgraded the desktop, 55.1”L×23.6”W extra large desktop provides more space. The mouse pad covers the entire surface, so don’t have to worry about running out of surface space or your mouse and keyboard being uneven in height.
- [Support for Dual Monitors ]: Constructed via a premium density fiberboard and a coated steel frame. Ensuring stability whilst you game. You can put 2 monitors here and a bunch of accessories without the fear of it collapsing. T-shaped design and four leveling feet to make sure the desk to keep horizontal.
- [Cup Holder and Headphone Hook]: The last thing you want is to spill water all over your expensive electronics, that’s why this desk comes with a cup holder. It’s an arm reach away and can fit small and large cups, even use it to put ice cream in. Also comes with headphone hook.
- [12 Month Service]: Free replacement or parts guarantee for any quality problem within 365 days. Reply in 24 hours for any problems.
A properly fitted and positioned gaming chair is important for anyone looking to be competitive, or at least sit for hours on end. If you are uncomfortable, you become distracted which leads to bad game play. When someone asks me “why am I suddenly bad at video games”, I typically ask them if they are comfortable and focused. Odds are, if they are either uncomfortable or not focused, their game play will suffer.
Gaming chairs are unique in that they can provide an immersive experience, especially the ones that recline, vibrate and produce noise. Additionally, they can improve posture while also offering temperature control. If you haven’t experienced a gaming chair, we recommend buying one.
- Designed with 2 Bluetooth speakers.Surrounded sound system brings the best in your entertainment
- Connect it to your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth enabled devices,and enjoy music,mobile game
- Ergonomic Design: Strong metal frame designed to help promote a comfortable seated position
- Multi Function: Bluetooth speakers for 6 hour music play,Armrest adjustable,Seat height adjustable
- Seat height adjustable;90 to 170 degree reclining;Rocking;360 degree swivel;Removable headrest
Gaming Monitors are a no-brainer when it comes to gaming setups. You need to be able to see if you want to be competive. On top of that, you need gaming hardware that will allow for you to be competive. For example, refresher rates on monitors are crucial at higher competition levels. If you and an enemy run into each other at the same time, one of you will see it and react faster if your refresh rate is higher.
Also, having multiple screens is typically recommended for imporived performance as long as they aren’t distracting you. Personally, I have a monitor open for game research, one with a game map or skill tree, and one for the actual game. Some people also recommend using a curved monitor as it provides more of an immersive experience, which yields better performance.
- 30" Curved Gaming Monitor 2560 x 1080 Full HD Resolution. Response Time- 5ms GTG
- DP Up to 200Hz Refresh Rate / HDMI 2. 0 Up to 120Hz Refresh Rate: More than double the standard refresh rate, 200Hz gives gamers an edge in visibility as frames transition instantly, leaving behind no blurred images
- AMD Free Sync With Free Sync, gamers now enjoy smooth video and seamless on the spot movement through their fast paced games. Free Sync is an AMD technology that nearly eliminates tearing and stuttering due to differences between a graphics card's frame rate and a monitor's refresh rate.
- FPS-RTS FPS and RTS are Scepter's custom set display settings built for an enhanced gaming experience. FPS (First Person Shooter) , RTS (Real-Time Strategy).
- Blue Light Shift Reduce your monitors blue light to protect you from eye fatigue, irritation and strains. This enables you to work on you documents, watch movies, or play games more comfortably for extended periods.
This one doesn’t even need to be mentioned, yet, I feel as though I must. If you are gaming on a laptop or desktop that is slow or outdated, you probably won’t be any good. Just like your network connection, your gaming setup and abilities rely on a well oiled, high level gaming device.
Also, most games have a minimum requirement baseline for tech specs, but we always recommend having slightly better hardware specs that what they recommend, especially for when massive updates occur and change that minimum threshold.
- Hyper-realistic graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2080 Super (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated memory). Enjoy new levels of gaming realism, speed, power efficiency and immersion with real-time ray-tracing technologies
- Cutting-edge gaming performance: Geared with the latest hardware and easy to upgrade, so you can crush the latest and most demanding games including Fortnite, PUBG, and Overwatch
- Ultra-fast processor: 9th generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, 8-core, 3.60 GHz
- HP OMEN command center: Included software lets you customize RGB lighting, prioritize gaming network traffic, and stream your PC games on your big screen TV with OMEN game stream (a free remote gaming service)
- Solid state drive and memory: 1 TB PCIe(R) NVMe(TM) M.2 Solid State Drive and HyperX(R) 32 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (upgradable to 64 GB). Load up your favorite games in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a more powerful and immersive experience than a standard hard drive
So, Why Am I Suddenly So Bad At Video Games?
To sum up what we talked about above, there may be multiple reasons for why your gaming abilities have been lackluster, there are two main reasons. The first reason is that complacency kills. If you are not forced to adapt and practice new skills, your enemy will figure you out. Did the Greeks give up and sail home or did they figure out a way to penetrate the Trojan Wall?
Lastly, your gaming setup is closely correlated to your gaming success. Having the right components and peripherals are paramount for a successful game campaign. Trying to compete with others when they are on top of the line Alienware laptops while you are using a 1998 Macintosh is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.